In winter, downhill and cross country skis can be hired from the sports/ski shop in the village or at the foot of the slopes. Equipment can be stored at the ski centre or at the cabin
The ski bus stops about 200metres from the cabin and takes just 10-15minutes to the slopes. More information and timetables here
Yllas is Finland's largest resort
The ski bus stops about 200m from the cabin and takes just 10-15minutes to the slopes.
Extensive cross country tracks (330km) start close to the cabin - some illuminated for evening skiing.
Other major resort of Levi is accessible by car for alternative day's skiing.
- Long ski season and guaranteed snow (November to April)
- Good family downhill skiing and snowboarding
- 2 ski centres, linked by ski bus or by piste over the fell.
Yllas-Ski (Akaslompolo) and Sport Resort Yllas (Yllasjarvi)
- There are 61 runs with 29 lifts, covering 53km of piste. 29 slopes are illuminated
- No long queues for the lifts and the slopes are wonderfully uncrowded.
- A gondola lift runs from Sport Resort Yllas taking only 7 minutes to reach the top
- English speaking ski school offering group or private lessons in all skiing disciplines.
- Why not try snowboarding or learn to telemark?
- Opportunities for off-piste skiing
- Child friendly facilities at the ski slopes
CROSS COUNTRY SKIING
- Extensive prepared tracks (330km) in the local area
All are well signposted, catering for all abilities. Beginners can learn to ski around the village and on the frozen lake. Experts can ski through forest or over the fells on long daytrips if they wish.
- 38Km of trails are floodlit until 22:00 for evening skiing
- Trails start from the village, a very short distance from our cabin
ATMOSPHERIC CABINS AND CAFES
- Why not ski to a cosy wooden cabin, warm yourself in front of a crackling log fire and enjoy a hot drink, beer or cinnamon bun (locally known as pulla)
- There are picnic sites,with shelter and firepits, where you can cook sausages or toast marshmallows over an open fire. You can buy provisions in the local supermarket
- There are even firepits close to the downhill slopes, so alpine skiers need not miss out